Why Prince Harry and Meghan's Neighbors Are Secretly Celebrating
Some of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s neighbors are ready for a little more peace and quiet amid news that the Sussexes are moving back to the UK.“When we first heard Harry and Meghan were moving to Montecito, there were definitely some concerns,” a local resident exclusively told Page Six.“There had already been so much negative press and attention surrounding them and the royal family, and I think people worried about what kind of spotlight that could bring to such a quiet community.”At least one of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s neighbors is ready for a little more peace and quiet after news broke that the Sussexes (pictured above in April) are moving back to the UK. Getty ImagesA local Montecito resident exclusively told Page Six, “Now that we’re hearing they’re moving back to the UK, I couldn’t be more thrilled.” Gareth Cattermole/Getty ImagesOur insider noted that now that Prince Harry and Markle are moving back to the UK, they “couldn’t be more thrilled.”“Montecito is a very private, peaceful place, and I think a lot of people here will be happy to see things go back to being a little quieter,” the source continued.The insider stressed, however, that they can only speak for themselves and other residents they’ve spoken with — not the entire Montecito community as a whole.While Montecito is home to plenty of other high-profile residents, including Oprah Winfrey and Rob Lowe, the local said Harry and Meghan brought an unusual level of press and media attention to the normally quiet community.“When we first heard Harry and Meghan were moving to Montecito, there were definitely some concerns,” the source said of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (pictured above together in April). Getty ImagesPictured above, a general view of the entryway to a private road leading to Prince Harry’s and Meghan Markle’s home in Montecito, California. REUTERSBut it seems to be a common feeling, as another neighbor told Page Six, “Good riddance!”They told Page Six that “California is happy to see them go.”The insider claimed the Sussexes are “always asking for grandiose favors of their friends and acquaintances because of their titles, never giving anything back to them or the actual Montecito community.”They added, “The town is exhausted by them, the entitlement and the never ending drama.”According to the source, some locals have even taken to referring to the pair as the “Grift and Griftess of Sussex.”The local said Harry and Meghan, pictured above in October 2025, brought an unusual level of press and media attention to the normally quiet community. Clint Brewer Photography / NORTH SUNSET / BACKGRIDHarry and Markle have called the posh Santa Barbara County community home since 2020. NetflixWe’re told friends in the UK have been jokingly texting, “Please keep them! We don’t want them!”The source also claimed Markle was telling people a few years back “that she would go back to the UK kicking and screaming.”Reps for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex did not immediately respond to Page Six’s requests for comment.Page Six confirmed Wednesday that Harry, 41, and Markle, 45, plan to return to the UK with their children — Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5 — at the end of the month for an “extended period.”Their home boasts nine bedrooms and 16 bathrooms, along with sprawling grounds that include a tennis court, rose garden, tea house and children’s playhouse. Google EarthHarry and Meghan, pictured above in July 2024, settled in Montecito after stepping down as “senior” members of the royal family and relocating to the US. NORTH-SUNSET / BACKGRIDSources told Page Six Thursday that the family still plans to keep their $14.5 million Montecito estate while spending significantly more time across the pond.However, a second source in the Santa Barbara luxury real estate market told The Post that there “have been rumblings” that the couple will sell the property, noting that “every broker wants that listing.”As previously reported, Harry and Markle have called the posh Santa Barbara County community home since 2020, when they settled there after stepping down as “senior” members of the royal family and relocating to the US.A second source said, “The town is exhausted by them, the entitlement and the never ending drama.” AFP via Getty ImagesThe couple purchased their Montecito mansion in 2020, and have raised Archie and Lilibet there since. NetflixThe couple purchased their sprawling estate that year, and have raised Archie and Lilibet there since.Their home boasts nine bedrooms and 16 bathrooms, along with sprawling grounds that include a tennis court, rose garden, tea house and children’s playhouse.Their return to Harry’s home country comes six years after the couple’s dramatic departure from royal life, which caused quite the kerfuffle and became widely known as “Megxit.”Sources previously told Page Six that King Charles III is a major reason behind the family’s decision to return.“I know that Charles is a big reason for their return,” a royal insider told us Wednesday.Their return to Harry’s home country comes six years after the couple’s dramatic departure from royal life, which caused quite the kerfuffle and became widely known as “Megxit.” (The couple pictured above in February.) NBAE via Getty ImagesPage Six confirmed that Harry and Markle plan to return to the UK with their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, at the end of the month for an “extended period.” NetflixHarry, Markle and their children reunited with the 77-year-old monarch at Highgrove House in July, marking the first time Charles had seen Archie and Lilibet in four years.The King, who is battling cancer, is said to be jolly pleased about having his son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren closer to him.The Sussexes also want Archie and Lilibet to develop stronger relationships with family and friends in Britain. A source told Page Six that the children will attend school in the UK during the family’s stay.“They have so many friends and family in the UK whom they remain so close to,” another source previously told Page Six.Meanwhile, we hear Harry and Meghan are expected to remain “non-working members” of the royal family and will continue pursuing their business ventures while living in Britain.
Community GuidelinesWelcome to the Page Six Community!Our community is about connecting people through open and thoughtful conversations. We want our readers to share their views and exchange ideas in a safe space.In order to do so, we've created a simple set of rules that will improve your experience.Simply put, keep it civil.Your post will/might be rejected if it contains:
Spam
Insults, profanity, incoherent, obscene or inflammatory language and threats of any kind
Attacks on the identity of other commenters or the article's author
User accounts will/might be blocked if we notice:
Continuous attempts to re-post comments that have been previously moderated/rejected
Racist, sexist, or homophobic comments
Attempts or tactics that put the site security at risk
So, how can you be a power user?
Stay on topic and share your passion. Feel free to elaborate to get your point across.
'Like' or 'Dislike' when you are filled with emotions!
Protect your community. Use the report tool to alert us when someone breaks the rules.
Thanks for reading our community guidelines. Don't forget, freedom of speech is not the freedom of reach!